In 2021, our team committed to A Kid Again as our charity of choice. It began as a way to bring more meaning to our summer golf outing, but soon grew to include a much bigger commitment from our team. In December 2021, we also sponsored A Kid Again’s Bourbon Tasting fundraiser and were able to host it in a home remodel that we completed in 2020. In a matter of hours, the bourbon tasting was able to fuel 4,100 adventures for their courageous kids!
As we became more involved with A Kid Again and learning their families’ stories, we made a pledge to help a family with much needed updates to their home. We knew that many of these families had to focus so much of their time and resources on taking care of their children with life-threatening illnesses, that typically home improvement projects were pushed to the bottom of their lists.
We teamed up with the A Kid Again staff, who created an application for Central Ohio families to submit their needed home projects for review. Our goal was to find one family that could use remodeling help for their home to make their child’s daily living easier. But after reviewing the applications, we decided that we could help more than just one family. We were pleased to inform five families of our intent to help them! The projects included:
- Converting a bathtub to a walk-in shower to make bathing their child easier
- Widening the entry door and hallway to make entering the home from the wheelchair ramp easier
- Adding a door to a master bathroom so that the child could no longer access it and potentially hurt themselves with hot water
- Replacing the attic access door to make it airtight to protect the child from harmful dust and mold spores
- Replacing the front steps to the home for a safer entry
Our team worked quickly to make these improvements and limit the inconvenience to the families. Was it a fancy, new kitchen? No. But was it the most rewarding work we have ever done? YES!
We will continue to support A Kid Again and look forward to helping more families in the future through volunteer opportunities and donations. If you would like to donate to this wonderful cause, CLICK HERE.